Friday, September 19, 2008

Run the Trail















No, silly! Not the campaign trail! The running trail. At Rocky River Nature Center in the Rocky River Reservation. I went for my first trail run last night with my new running partner, Matt, who has taken me for runs all over Cleveland and has been very encouraging. He picked me up from work and drove us both far west to the reservation. We met up with the Cleveland West Road Runners and hit the trail running. Ha! (I know, I know. I'm lame!) I've never done this before, and I half expected to break a leg or ankle or arm or head, but no! I was triumphant over the treacherous paths! And actually, they weren't that treacherous, but they were beautiful. It was me, Matt, Heidi (a hardcore trail runner), Glen, and Jim. I'm definitely the youngest! But it was just a blast - almost 8 miles of gorgeous trees and creeks and hills. There was one hill in particular that was pretty traumatizing - it was basically vertical! And of course I had to surge up it in order to prove myself (only Matt and I actually ran up the whole thing) and I nearly lost a lung and I gained two giant lumps in my quads - huge muscle knots. But it was SO worth it! After the exhilarating run in 65 degree weather, we went to the Great Lakes Brewing Company for beer and pizza and I got to meet a bunch of the other CWRR crew. It felt just great - hanging out with people that have generally just one thing in common: running. They were sweet and funny and easy to get along with. None of them will be my new best friend, none of them will come to my house for dinner, but a beer after a long trail run will happen regularly. I just love it. It made me feel welcome and healthy and happy. Cleveland has been a struggle for me, and this alleved some of my pain! I can't wait WAIT for the next run!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I miss running with you:)