Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Roommates and Rockstars

Actually, this post has little to do with rockstars, except for yours truly, but I liked the illiteration. speaking of the roommate part of it, I really like living with Cory. We respect each others' space, but we still have dinner together and she came with me to work on Friday to see my "action office" and to meet my co-workers. Oh, and we toured the museum together too. It's funny because for someone who works at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, I rarely actually spend time in the museum. I walk out from our basement offices and am often surprised: people! Beatles stuff! Hustle and bustle! We had lots of fun, and then she went to her office (just two blocks from the Rock Hall) and I went to mine.

But of equal importance was my visit to Austin this weekend. It was just great. I spent lots of time with my brother (which rarely happens) and with Nik, Karla, Genevieve, Colin, and Dan and Laura who were evacuated from New Orleans. Karla and I ran the Nike Human Race together; it was the hardest race I have ever done - 97 degrees, sunny, 90% humidity, and 6 miles of HILLS. But Karla and I finished 2000 out of 12,000! Not too bad. I met Nik's family - parents, sister, aunt, uncle, cousins at his grandmother's house for a lunch. They were all super sweet and easy to get along with (as long as I left politics at the doorstep). I went to Barton Springs, I trained my successor at the journal, I ate migas, I went canoing...it was a busy, nutty weekend, but a really good one. I'll be back for ACL, so that's exciting!

My advisor forwarded me a job posting at the University of Oregon. I could TOTALLY live in Oregon! But I need to finish the dissertation before anything else and work at this job for a while before I get ahead of myself. Boo.

No comments: