Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Pope

OK, I'll admit it. I was raised Catholic. And I play the Catholic card when in South America...it often helps. I still believe in God, although I have serious issues with the Catholic Church and only go to mass...well, when I'm playing a wedding. Or attending a wedding. And occasionally for the music, if it's gonna be good.

But I never held stock in the Pope, and this one far less than the last. And here he is, in all his hypocritical glory, trying to make it look like he sympathizes with these victims of sexual abuse, when a lot of those priests never even got fired in the first place - they were just moved to other dioceses far away! Can you believe that? And he makes it look like he's all supportive and whatnot. Are you kidding me? Why is it that most child molesters end up in prison and have to live a good 2 miles from a grade school and these guys just get to start over, albeit in Nebraska or something. My proposal for the Catholic Church? (One among many, but my beef today will be brief.) Let priests get married or cohabitate with their partners. And let women be priests. No small task, I know, but jeez louise!

No comments: