Thursday, April 17, 2008

No no drama!!!

Honestly, Peru was nothing but drama. Some good, some bad. But here, in ATX, there is no drama. Except last night when Sonia and I went to see Carmen by Bizet. Now, THAT'S drama! For real! Why doesn't Don Jose get a clue? Geez. Get over it. And don't kill someone just because she doesn't like you back. Not that I'd date a matador; I'd worry my lover would be at death's door every time I ate a hamburger. Really.

But it got me thinking about the drama that exists in Peru (or maybe it's just the jungle). A lot of people thrive on it. Maybe it's because it's a small city. Or maybe it's related to the concept of survival. Or maybe it's leftover defense mechanism from the violent colonial days. Or maybe it's a result of the colonial days; maybe it was the Spaniards that dug the drama. Regardless, there's so much of it, it'll make your head spin.

And it's funny, because the drama that I have in my life here in Austin is hardly drama. I fractured my foot and couldn't run for six weeks. Pretty dramatic for me. And then there's always the stupid dissertation drama, but that couldn't be more boring. The anxiety is what makes it halfway exciting, on the other hand. My herbs are growing and flourishing. Really, I have no drama. Except for the occasional opera. Stupid Don Jose. And sexy Carmencita. Could Bizet have exoticized the Other any more? Probably not. Maybe if he made them walk around with little coins hanging off their skirts. That's a costume design thing, though.

Drama? Academics definitely have drama, but they bring it on them own damn selves. Dude, we're not Doctors Without Borders. Get over it! Seriously, all the Don Joses of the Ivory Tower. If I ever become a petty, obsessive professor, will someone slap me please?

No comments: