Friday, December 07, 2007

Holiday Spirit

So last night, I had a lovely dinner with my girls, the primary motivation being the despedida of our dear friend K.C. who is moving to Houston. I still get together every year with my old roommates and best girlfriends from college, and we had our last reunion on my birthday weekend. I have another set of non-roommates but best girlfriends from graduate school, and honestly, that chemistry is rare: when four or five people get along so well with each other that they can talk for hours and hours and never bore.

I am fortunate enough to be part of two such groups. The first is my 702 girls from Bowling Greenn. We lived together in some combination at 702 E. Wooster Street for several years. We all knew each other independently of the house (from the dorms, or the music building, the art building, or whathaveyou), but we all got along (and still do, nearly ten years later) just wonderfully and we are each other's support network: through family deaths, miscarriages, marriages, break-ups, children, new homes, old homes...the whole nine yards.

My Austin ladies are women with whom I trained for the Chicago Marathon. We also knew each other independently (through the music building, through other friends or whathaveyou) but we are also each other's support network just two years later: through family deaths (still), break-ups, new boyfriends, new homes, old homes, etc.

Women need each other. I don't mean to be the sexist feminist whatever, but it's true: we need the support and love and nurturing that only we can give. It's not to say that there aren't loving, tender, supporting, nurturing men out there, but it's just not the same. It's actually encoded in our DNA in ways that it isn't in men. And thank goodness that I have these women, especially during the holiday season, which I love, but it really sucks without my mom.

No comments: