Monday, December 24, 2007

Get in the Spirit!

Fun Fact No. 3a: Tickets please! To get into a wedding, graduation party, or other private, organized event, you have to bring your entrance, food, and drink tickets. Without them you can´t get in, eat or drink. I guess enough people tried to scam brides and grooms so that this became a necessity. Ha!

Well, it´s Christmas Eve, which is basically Christmas day in the sense that it´s the Big Day. Tonight there´ll be a big ole family dinner, followed by toasting the holiday with champagne, followed by dancing all night long. I had a blast last year, and I hope to have a blast this year. Although this trip is going very well, I am very happy and getting a lot of work done, next Christmas I really want to spend with my Dad and brother. It´s terrific to be here with friends and Peruvian family, but I miss having Christmas in my country, with our Christmas carols, Christmas dinner (usually a Honey Baked ham in my family), and the Macy´s parade. Nonetheless, I am excited for this evening´s activities!

I am budgeting my time very well this time, and I´m getting a lot of work done and am still able to see friends. It helps that my friend Monica left me the keys to her apartment and I have a quiet place to go to do work, take a nap, or read. It´s a hip apartment in a quiet neighborhood, and the neighbors, Jorge from Cuba and Pancho from Lima are super sweet and they bring me whatever they´re cooking (and luckily, the Cuban is the primary cook in the household. Mmmmmm!!).

The best news is that my running is going well. Running really keeps me sane, and I think part of the reason last year was so tough was because I wasn´t running. I ran 17 miles yesterday (whew!) and I had a great run. It was really fantastic, even when I was hurting. There´s a nice, 25-meter pool really close to my house, so I went for a swim this morning to crosstrain and use those muscles that stiffened up so much last night in my sleep. But I feel really great. And it´s so nice to be in the sunshine! I´m putting on sunscreen often, and am only lightly tanned for the time being, but it does feel great to be in the sun sun sun!

Yesterday there was a chocolatada in my house. Nearly 100 kids and their moms showed up to be entertained by a (creepy) clown, (really loud) music, and hot chocolate. It was a warm, sunny day yesterday, so the hot chocolate was kind of weird, but it was good fun anyway.

In the meantime, happy holidays to all of you. Thank you for your continued support and love. I love you and miss you all very much.

Love,
Sparky.

No comments: