Saturday, December 15, 2007

Milky Way & iPods

Well folks, I made it. After a rather short trip (it felt like anyway!), I am here in sunny Lima, Peru where summer is just getting started. It has been a wonderful trip so far, and I have been here for less than 24 hours! Here´s the lo-down:

I was horribly anxious the past few days, getting ready for the trip and nervous about being in Peru again. This past year held so SO many ups and downs that I really had a hard time reconciling a return trip so soon after I left. But there are some things I need to take care of regarding research, dissertation, friends, motorcycles, and life. I am still a little nervous about actually getting to Iquitos, mostly because the reality of Victor´s death will most likely hit hard, and that is kind of scary. Anyway, thanks to dear, dear friends (Karla, K.C., Genevieve, April!), I got everything packed, organized and out the door.

But I haven´t even begun at the beginning! Yesterday morning I woke up at 5:30am not to catch a plane, but to run 14 miles. I ran the first four with Karla and April, the next three with just April, and the last seven with the light drizzle that actually made for a delightful run. You would think running 14 miles and then getting on a few airplanes for 8 hours wouldn´t be a great idea, but actually it was JUST what the doctor ordered. The run was wonderful, then I made French toast with April, baked some pound cake, and headed off to the airport. My check-in went relatively smoothly (although I had to leave behind Christmas Crackers and some sidewalk chalk to lighten the load), and off to Houston.

In Houston I had a delicious sundried tomato pesto pasta salad (note: back in the day, airports only offered nasty Chinese or greasy fried chicken. This is truly and improvement) and then off to Lima. The flight was great: I read an entire book, watched the movie Hairspray, and caught up with the latest Harper´s.

I got to Lima early (at about 11:15pm) where my friend Lissette´s parents were waiting for me. We cruised home, shot the bull, and went to bed. I slept for nine hours without waking up, dreams, nightmares, having to pee, NOTHIN´! I slept better than I´ve slept for some time.

Today I woke up, had fresh-squeezed papaya juice and hung out with Wilder & Wilder, Lissette´s dad and brother. We went to eat lunch at a delicious seafood joint where I ate (surprise surprise) ceviche! Yum. Then I called a few friends and later this afternoon I´m having coffee with my friend (and potential dissertation committee member), Raul.


A few observations about this trip so far:
1. At the Houston airport, there were Apple snack machines. Seriously. Swipe your credit card, punch in the right number, the coil moves, an iPod drops down. I stood in front of the machine for about 15 minutes, partially in awe, partially in disgust. I couldn´t figure out what I should feel; right next to it was a real snack machine with Milky Way & Reeses.

2. Arriving here, it felt like I never left. Really! I felt comfortable and good, and that was a relief. I know now that this is meant to be- I´m meant to be in Peru so soon after I left. Also, I feel confident about myself, my non-Peruvianness, and my Peruvianness. I grew and changed quite a bit when I was here, and it was a hard road. But now I want to own it; I don´t want Peru to get the best of me. I want to give of myself only on MY terms and I feel good about that. I am happy, comfortable, and confident.

3. I feel like this whole task (dissertating, researching, travelling, running, visiting) is just less daunting. I feel less overwhelmed than I did even yesterday morning. I really feel like I can do it all, do it all well, and be proud of what I will have accomplished.

4. I almost cried on the way over because of something weird and kind of lame: I love running. I am convinced that I had such an uneventful, comfortable trip because I had a nice, long run before I got on the plane. I am so, SO privileged to have found such an embracing, engaging sport and to be able to call myself a runner! Michael once said that we are endurance athletes. I totally laughed him off saying that I´m just a slow runner. Now I get it! Hooray and thanks be to God for Running and Good Friends!

I´ll keep you posted as the days wear on. Wish me well!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you made it safely--and that you got some sleep!!

This was such an uplifting blog to read! I'm inspired. Oh, RS said he already misses you.:)

love you
xoxo

kinkybootbeasts said...

ha! At first I thought you meant an apple machine, as in the fruit. And I was thinking "WTF? Houston's not that healthy!!"

Larissa said...

I wish you all the best in Peru. It sounds like a really great thing and I hope the nice feelings your expressed in this blog entry continue for you the whole time. Love you!

hellolua said...

hope you have a good and productive trip. keep us updated!