Monday, July 23, 2007

Jungle Fever





























Fun Fact No. 71:
Can I get that soda in a deposit bottle to go? So as many of you who have traveled outside of the US know, soda usually comes in a glass bottle that you can't get to-go. You have to give it back, because the bar/restaurant etc., gets a deposit back when they return the bottles. What to do when you want that tasty Inka Cola to go? Dump it in a plastic bag with a straw and roll.

Yes, tis true. I have a fever. I hope I'm not getting the flu! It's generally warm in the Amazon, but it really sucks when you have a fever. It's WAY hotter. I think I got it from my sheer exhaustion. On Friday night I took some sleeping pills and slept 10 hours (praise the Lord!) and I needed it. Saturday night was rough and amazing at the same time. So here goes!

We had a cook-out at the house during the afternoon on Saturday, and then Monica and I went to the Olympic pool for a little bit. I got changed and went to the chapel where our concert was. Everyone sang and played beautifully. And my crying got going because they brought me flowers and a beautiful plate with the names of everyone in the choir. It was really emotional. I then went to Monica's to change out of my black dress and into my black "i'm playing with a cumbia band" top, with lots of sequins, and my skinny jeans. I got to the Complejo where Explosion plays every Friday and Saturday and as the VIP, I got let right in with my own personal bodyguard. Exactly why I need a bodyguard is kind of beyond me, but he's a handsome guy, so I didn't complain.

And then...to the stage. Dancing salsa with the band and then...my turn. A complete blur, but I have pictures to prove I did it. And then I did it again on Sunday night at a different venue! Holy smokes kids, wouldn't I love LOVE to be a salsa flautist. Bad-ass! Seriously, I would dig it, but I need a whole heck of a lot of practice!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh...you look fabulous in your salsa outfit! Congrats. If only you could have cut your pants up like the other people on stage ;)

Cant wait to see you back in Austin-selina

sevenveils said...

hiya! i'm a friend of elise's (and seth and rhonda's), and she just sent your blog to me.
i totally saw explosion in the complejo!!....two years ago now. one of the most magical nights of my life. though i think that had a little to do with the 21 raices and the long-lost love (LLL) i was with.
so crazy you were up on that stage! with those scantily glad ladies! if only my trip had been two years later, i would have thought to myself "who the fuck is whitey?" and i would have talked to you, and we would have had a small world moment.

well, looks like you're coming back soon...??? wow. suerte, buen viaje, y quizas vamos encontrarnos un dia.
()))
*jed