Sunday, July 08, 2007

Da Boyz

Fun Fact No. 66: Not for individual sale. You know how cigarrettes, small packages of chips or oreos or something and candy all say that they´re not for individual sale? Well, Peru says poop on that because Peruvians go ahead and sell them individually anyway.



Well, today was just lovely. I really enjoy Sundays in Iquitos. I woke up to an empty house - all my roommates are out of town so I decided to clean the floors and wash my clothes. It was a scorcher today, so it felt good to take a cold bath after all that work. Then I went to visit my friend Milton who was in a pretty horrific motorcycle accident yesterday. His head split right open and his shoulder popped out of its socket, among other things. We are lucky he´s still alive, so it was really good to see him almost walking today. The crappy thing is that today is his birthday. At least he´ll never forget it!

After Milton´s I headed over to my friend Upi´s house where Mario and 7 other boys were drinking beers and shooting the breeze. It took me right back to high school when I was "one of the boyz" and no one thought twice about telling a dirty joke or just being stupid. Not to say that that doesn´t happen with my girlfriends too, but often here in Peru the boys are on guard around the girls and don´t quite let loose as easily as we vulgar Americans do. It was just so SO much fun until...we (Peru) pathetically lost 4-0 to Argentina in the American Cup. Dude. Not that I play soccer but a 4-0 loss? Against a country that in general has it out for Peru? Sad, sad, sad. Alas alack...

No comments: