Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I VOTED.

It was pretty emotional! I felt so...American! There were hundreds of people voting, and it was efficient and organized and just plain EXCITING. I choked up a bit. After I voted (ps. A family friend is running for state attorney general! It was funny to see his name on the ballot. I love him dearly, but I didn't vote for him.) and put my ballot in the box, an elderly man shook my hand and said "Best of luck to you. Congratulations on your accomplishment." Dramatic? Perhaps. But I think that he understands what a privilege it is to cast a ballot and participate in (a version of) democracy. It felt pretty cool.















Plus, then when I was running back to work (I did this on my lunch break - I ran there and back), the streets were cordoned off and cops were directing traffic. Why? Because the circus is in town! There were elephants marching up E. 9th Street! It's the best of both worlds - India and the US!















This is me and my friend Hubert who works at the Rock Hall! Behind us on the left is Rock the Vote - complete with Bow Wow!

3 comments:

Anne said...

Way to go! Check it off your to do list. Now, go out and make sure everyone who lives near you does the same! (Check out your campaign office - there's a huge "get out the vote" going on from next week thru election day!)

marylamb said...

hey, signed up for the run for the water 10 miler. kind of scared. my "long" run these days is 5 miles. oh well. hope you find some happiness where ever you are in ohio.
miss you. looking forward to our 5 miler in november.
xo

Larissa said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited to vote in PA that I just can't stand it! We're both in battleground states now - unlike in Texas, not to mention that I think this is the most exciting election that we've seen since I've been old enough to vote!
Love you,
Larissa