Thursday, November 30, 2006

Tchaikovsky in Iquitos





























Fact No. 27: Bras are important. I’m not sure how this particular fashion trend began heFun re in Iquitos, but it’s true. They sell beaded bra straps on every street corner. Clear bra straps are also super popular. Also, if you’re wearing a strappy tank top, you should wear the beaded bra straps or a halter bra strap. Point being, bra straps should be seen. Oh, and bras are SUPER padded too. So much for me and my Target bras...

Fun Fact No. 28: Band geeks are universal. Yup, sad but true. A Peruvian band geek is just as dorky as an American band geek as you will see below.

Well, who knew that November would fly by so quickly?? Was it the anticipation of my birthday? Was it that I wasn’t working on my prospectus every bloody day? Was it that my fieldwork has really gotten underway? But really, how is it December already? I am perplexed. Well, regardless, a few tidbits that have happened as of late:

1. I went to see a brass quintet from Lima called Sounds Brass. They all studied at the Lima Conservatory and they all play in the national symphony. The really neat thing was that they didn’t just sit down and play, which would seriously bore any person from Iquitos who has never seen a trombone before and could care less about Handel. They played pieces from all over the place, from the theme to Star Wars to Little Brown Jug. In between each piece, they talked about the piece, its origins, and they also gave a little lesson on each instrument (2 trumpets, 1 french horn, 1 tuba, 1 trombone) and its history. It was completely A) entertaining and B) didactic. People here just have no idea about this kind of music, and it was a great experience.

2. Speaking of Sounds Brass, later that night I went to Noa, one of only 2 discotecas here in Iquitos, and it just happens to be the one where I've never been. I went with Monica and her roommate Gloria and we had a ball. Especially after we started dancing with three of the quintet who showed up. And lemme just tell you, these guys are DEFINITELY band geeks. The only difference between them and regular band geeks is that they can at least dance salsa pretty well. Which might be a hugely offensive statement to those BG who can dance salsa well, but I would imagine they are few and far between. I felt like I was in my home country, and it was fun fun FUN.

3. I have been preparing with Fernando the cellist and pianist a concert at the Fatima grade school featuring the first orchestra EVER of Iquitos. He has singlehandedly mounted this orchestra in 6 months - which includes teaching the girls what a violin is, how to read music, how to listen, and play. IN ONLY 6 MONTHS!!!!! Last night was the premier concert and the auditorium was PACKED. The orchestra (16 violins, 3 violas, 3 cellos, 1 bass, 2 alto recorders, 1 piano and including yours truly on flute) played 4 pieces (Adeste Fideles, The Titanic theme song, Practice Time, and the famous bit of Beethoven's 9th). This performance was followed by the first ever ballet of Iquitos, the Nutcracker with just about the cutest ballerinas EVER. It was a roaring success, and with the video footage, I hope to bust out the baddest ass "Musicians Without Borders" organization ever. Well, here's hoping!


1 comment:

KC said...

how magical!