Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Sad Wednesdays



Yesterday I bought my ticket for Iquitos. I paid $73 which was a heck of a lot better than the average $108. But lo and behold the travel agent held out on me. Turns out there were deals at around $38. Needless to say, I´m annoyed. Alas.
After I bought my ticket yesterday, I called my "family" in Iquitos to tell them what time my flight gets in tomorrow night. The dad, Mario, answered and is super excited to pick me up at the airport. But he told me his wife, Dina, was in Lima and would be here until November. I asked why and he said that she would tell me herself and he gave me her number here in Lima. I excitedly called her, hoping to see her before I leave. It turns out she´s here because she has breast cancer and they have a good hospital for chemotherapy. Talk about a blow to the stomach. Dina is how I came to love Iquitos in the first place. Her family takes such good care of me and they are such wonderful people. I can´t tell you how difficult this is for her family because she is the glue there in Iquitos. She has boundless energy and she´s creative and thoughtful. She takes care of everyone and is an absolute sweetheart. And now she´s been struck. She´s doing well, and her hair has grown back (I told her short hair is all the rage, as you can clearly see), and her spirits are high. But she´s tired and I am so sad for her and her family and for myself, because it´s going to be different in Iquitos without her.

So today she came over after a radiation session and we hung out here for a bit and then went to her sister´s house on the other side of town for lunch and to hang out with her sister, her husband, and their kids. They´re super sweet people and we had a terrific time. It´s weird because it´s cold and cloudy where I´m staying with Lissette´s family in a neighborhood called Jesús María and it´s warm and sunny just 10 miles away where Dina´s family is. This is a perfect time for me to talk about Lima. Here´s the thing about Lima: It stinks. Literally and figuratively. Peru is a great place but Lima, even with the charms that it has (that are few and far between), is dirty, grimy, and just plain icky. It reminds me of a cloudy LA that just isn´t half as hip. It´s spread out really far and it´s just so polluted. Even when the sun comes out (which is a rarity until December), the haze is so thick that it refracts the light in a weird way. It just makes me appreciate Iquitos even more. And it´s probably not fair for me to rip on Lima considering I´ve spent altogether like two weeks here, but still. Bad first, second, and third impression. But I know good people here, so that makes up for some of the grime.

Here´s a picture of Dina´s niece dressed up in her finest Cusco gear. Tomorrow night I head to Iquitos and to see Mario Sr., Dina´s husband, and their kids, Mario Jr., Kirle, and Veronica. I´ve missed them terribly, and I´ll report on the reunion and the state of Iquitos. Hooray!

No comments: