Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Lima & family


So here I am in Lima. After a relatively harrowing (and exhausting) journey, I made it safe and sound, and Lissette´s parents and older brother were waiting for me at the airport and just laughed when they saw the three giant bags that I had with me. It was only supposed to be two giant bags, but they were 93 pounds each so I had to check three (and pay an extra $100). The thing is, I don´t even have that much stuff! It´s mostly clothes and toys for the village. Grrrrr!!! Regardless, I slept like a baby last night, despite the snores of this giant bulldog that lives next door, right across from my room. The poor guy just needs to be walked, and I think he´d cut down on the snoring and the incessant barking during the day.


Lissette´s family is as wonderful as always. Her mom Elsa is super funny and adorable, and her dad Wilder is quiet, but has a great sense of humor. I´m so lucky to know them, and I love spending time with them. Her brothers Wilder, Rudy, and Martín are super sweet. Rudy´s actually in Mexico right now on business, but I´ve been hanging out with Martin this morning and he is just a doll.


On the plane I met a sweet woman named María Jesús who was lovely to talk to. We´re going to do lunch tomorrow. Today I have to buy my ticket for Iquitos and head out to the pirate mall to get some more voltage converters. I´m heading out right now to visit with my friend (and ethnomusicologist) Raúl Romero. Woo hoo!

3 comments:

hellolua said...

so glad you made it! so sad you're so far away... sending you love!

KC said...

you're there safe. whew!

cat update: rocksteady and stella are now fairly relaxed around each other. rocksteady is taking over the place, believe it or not! he seems content and it's just stella that doesn't understand why this little guy is sitting in all her favorite spots!

xoxo

Tommy W said...

Glad to hear you made it safe. I will be using the blog to illustrate what life in South America is like to my students that want to study abroad there. Looks like so much fun.