Thursday, September 28, 2006

Fun Facts

I decided that I am going to begin every blog with a Fun Fact about Peru. This category will most likely be flexible, so be patient with me.

Fun Fact No. 1: Peruvians love to gamble. Well, I use "gamble" liberally. They like slot machines which are called Traga Monedas which literally translates into Coin Swallower. I can´t imagine how much money is blown daily on the good ole coin swallower.
---
Today´s is going to be short. Last night Elsa & Wilder took me to eat anticucho, a delicious treat for the carnivore that hits the spot and makes you sleep like a baby. I´m not a big meat eater and I LOVE anticucho. It´s basically the leftovers of a cow skewered and grilled and then drizzled with a spicy chimichurri, a garlicky yumminess. Sounds icky but it´s YUMMY. I couldn´t eat it every day, though. All my veggie friends are probably throwing up right now.

Tonight I fly to Iquitos and my vacation will end and the real work begins. I have to revise my prospectus and read a bunch of stuff, and then turn it in and THEN get rolling on the fieldwork. Good news is that the family I stay with in Iquitos has an extra house that they don´t use, and Dina offered it to me for free! I just have to pay electricity. How´s that for luck?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You should put your money for electricity in the coin swallower first and see if you can increase your earnings ten-fold! Ha ha. I love reading about your adventures!