Thursday, October 18, 2007

Natural Disasters

So as a kid, I always thought, well, if there's a place in the world where there aren't any natural disasters, I should move there and then there will be no threat of tsunami, tornadoes, or whatever. When we lived in New Orleans, there were floods. In California, there were regular earthquakes. In Minnesota, tornadoes. In Rhode Island, hurricanes. Chicago and Ohio, tornadoes. In Texas...well, there are floods, droughts, and tornadoes, not to mention coastal areas plagued by hurricanes. In coastal Peru there are earthquakes, in the Amazon there is the occasional drought. Safe? Well, you're never really safe. But I always used to think you could escape it. I also thought that the word approximate meant exact. So I guess you live and learn.

On another note, if you want to be kind of creeped out, watch the claymation movie The Adventures of Mark Twain. I watched it when I was a kid and it was pretty scary. I watched some clips on youtube today. It's still scary. And according to the IMDB, was banned from television in 1985.

Another delightfully creepy childhood film is Watcher in the Woods, actually a Disney movie, but pretty scary.


No comments: