Friday, October 12, 2007

Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner

So my good friend Michael gave me a collection of short stories by Alan Sillitoe for Christmas a few years ago and what a treat it was. It's called The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner and it's title story is nonchalant, narrated by a juvenile delinquent who recognizes how fortunate he is to be able to run every day as part of his schooling in a crappy JD facility. And the most perfect quote....

"It's a treat, being a long-distance runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or to tell you what to do."

It's really true. While I suffer from perfectionism in most areas of my life, which in turn cause anxiety, stress, or exhaustion, running isn't one of them. Running is the only place where my biggest competitor is myself, I'm not proving anything to anyone, I don't have to do it if I don't want to, it's not a requirement and I certainly don't have to write a dissertation about it or because of it or in order to do it. I run because I love the mental challenge. I run because I love how I feel after a long run, tired, with nothing physical to show for it but a few aches, but knowing I ran 8 miles today. Physically, most peope could be runners. Maybe not marathon runners, but they could be runners. Mentally, I think that few could. It's tough to convince your body that it should and will finish this run. To convince your lungs that they'll get a change to breathe at the end of this one. To convince the jelly that your legs have become that they'll get a chance to just walk if they just hang in there a little bit longer.

I was a glassblower, an artist. I am striving to be an ethnomusicologist and a scholar and a teacher. I have always been a decent / good student. But in all these areas, there is pressure to do better, publish more, get a better grade, be more creative. In running, there is no pressure at all. I just want to start and to finish, nothing more, nothing less.

And so here's a lovely portrait that my very talented photographer friend, Rhonda Turnbough (www.rhondaturnbough.com) took of my very talented cellist and running friend, Karla Hamelin (soon to have www.karlahamelin.com) with me and my very talented songwriter, cellist, and marketing genius friend, Genevieve Frisch. In dedication to long-distance running and what a joy it is. I am grateful to be a long-distance runner!




















www.rhondaturnbough.com

No comments: