Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Cementaries

Fun Fact No. 60: Cementaries are strange and wonderful. Just to illustrate, take a look at a the following pictures from the main cementary in Iquitos.
























































Yes, those are dead birds on top of that grave. Yes, that's a soccer ball and yes, that is an Amazon boat, built to scale. Wow. If only we were that creative!


In the meantime, recent news includes....
1. The concert went off with a few hitches, but nothing too drastic. I recorded it and it ain't bad. Unfortunately, the Bernstein didn't go as well as anticipated, mostly because that 10/4 time signature is tough. But it was passable. All in all, it was a good experience, and it was fun to play with Nancy.

2. I had AMAZING interviews yesterday, which, in my desperate last month or so, I really need to keep my spirits up. Everyone says that your fieldwork really gets underway in your last few months of research, and that is SO true. I guess that's what you get for not being a native and for staying for such a short time. 10 months is long but in a lifetime, it's nothing.

3. I'm going to Lima next week with Explosion. I get an interview with the main composer of Peruvian pop music and I'm also going to Trujillo with Lissette's parents where Explosion is also playing. I'm excited about the trip, but nervous about leaving Iquitos, even if it is for research. I feel like I have to take advantage of every second that I'm here.

4. I LOVE my seamstress! I am having lots of cute things made for people, and cheap! My seamstress is sweet and efficient, and quite creative. Hooray!

5. San Juan is coming up...June 24. It's the biggest holiday / festival / celebration in Iquitos during the whole year, and people eat juanes, rice, saffron, chicken, and olives boiled in a banana leaf so that everything absorbs the flavor of everything else. I love LOVE juanes and tis the season! Plus there are a lot of things happening for my research - veladas, parades, folkloric contests, etc.

No comments: