Wednesday, May 02, 2007

So long...














































































Fun Fact No. 49:
Hiss! The best way to get someone´s attention here in Iquitos is to hiss at them or to whistle quite shrilly. I´m not a fan of the hissing because it´s kind of gross, but what can you do.

Here are pictures from Cusco. What a trip! Shun and Kami left yesterday morning to head back to Lima and that´s that. It was a great visit. We had loads of fun here in Iquitos and they got to do a jungle tour and we ate lots of good food and danced like crazy on Saturday night. They got along so SO well with all my friends and family here and it was great to see them learning new things and exploring the city. We had some adventures, too, but it was all fabulous!

Yesterday was a beautiful, lazy day. It was Labor Day, so everything was closed, and I just washed my laundry and went for a run. Speaking of running, I started running again about 2 weeks ago. Yowza! Am I out of shape! I ran about 3.5 miles and nearly died. Granted, it´s all hills, but I used to be able to whip through 7 miles in no time. But it´s wonderful to get going again. I missed it a lot. My middle finger is ever on the ready to extend should there be gross cat calls etc., but for the most part people leave me alone. The road is paved and long and hilly, and my goal is to be able to run the whole thing round trip before I leave Peru. I think it´s about 7 miles long, so I´m looking at 14 miles, but it is all hills. I think I can do it!

I´ve got three months left, and I had better make them count. It kind of gives me a panic attack that I haven´t gotten enough work done here, but at the same rate, I can´t trade in these experiences for anything, and Lord knows I´ve learned plenty, even if it´s not all directly related to a doctorate. Here´s hoping the rest goes smoothly...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

get ready to run...i'll get you in shape:)