Thursday, May 31, 2007

Cute!



















































Fun Fact No. 55:
Winter's upon us. Yup, with June underway, winter is finally here in the Amazon. It's chilly. And by that I mean about 69-72ºF. Yikes! I'm seriously freezing my "BLEEEEP" (for our sensitive readers) off.

Still happy! Still loving Iquitos.

It just occurred to me that I rarely actually write about my research. I think that's leftover from a self-consciousness about my work, my career, and my life. I need to get over it if this is really going to be something that I do for the rest of my life. In the meantime, today I was supposed to have an interview with a very famous promoter of cumbia groups in Peru. His name is Jairo and he's based in Lima. He has successfully promoted all the hottest groups, and has worked with the most famous names in the business. If you get promoted by Jairo, you WILL make it. Guaranteed! He's in Iquitos for a week with a nationally famous group, Grupo 5. And he's Explosion's promoter too. So he could have all kinds of juicy bits of info for me, but I cannot pin him down for the life of me! We have rescheduled an interview six times in the last three days. He makes me feel better by giving me promotional stuff (CDs, T-shirts, hats) but I really need this stinkin' interview! I think it'll be key for just about all of my research. Boo hiss!

One of my housemates, Sandrine (France) is single-handedly hosting a fair trade fair today and tomorrow in the main square. It's really impressive because she organized this whole thing from scratch, working with indigenous craftspeople and the regional government in order to demonstrate what fair trade is and how when it works, it helps just about everyone (except the evil intermediaries who like to screw the little guy. Sucks for them.). Anyway, the crafts that they're selling are beautiful woven baskets. What's most fun is that we all are helping Sandrine in any way we can. Since I've got transportation, I'm going to the radio stations to spread the word and posting posters in hard to reach places. Jorge and Sanni are organizing the tables, and everyone is passing out fliers. It's a great "we're a happy family" thing to do together.

And speaking of our happy family (Cesar, Graciela, Mario Luis, Jorge, Sanni, Monica, Martina, Sandrine, and me), we're planning a reunion trip to Spain / Morocco in Christmas 2008. I really hope it happens, because we're just too close to let these friendships die out. As everyone who has met these people will attest, they are phenomenal, and an integral part of my experience here in Iquitos. Without them, my sanity would have been lost long, long ago. Here's hoping we can keep this up!

On extremely, ridiculously happy notes (to add to my increasing happiness), Dan Sharp & Laura Wolford recently had their kiddo, Elio Lyle. I doubt there is a cuter baby in this world, considering it was made by the award-winning Cutest Couple. Welcome, kiddo, and I just can't WAIT to meet you! Head over to http://helloelio.blogspot.com/ to read all about it.

1 comment:

hellolua said...

i love hearing you so upbeat! yay!
and thanks for the shout out to lil' elio. we're so happy to have him, and can't wait for him to meet his auntie k.

beijos!