Thursday, January 18, 2007

Flora and Fauna

















Fun Fact No. 38:
Motorcross is HUGE. Very big here. Huge motorcycle thingies wheeling around in mud and jungle. People LOVE it.



So I'll start with the fauna part. Life and death happen here. And no one flinches. One of our six dogs, Pishcota (an Amazonian word for whore), had babies about a week ago. She had seven adorable puppies and within about 4 days, they all died. She suffocated five out of the seven and then the other two just died and she ate them. People shrugged and said she's an old dog and doesn't know how to be a mother anymore. Oh well.

We have pet rabbits. The female is the same one as always, but we're now on the fourth male. The first was eaten by one of the dogs. The second was just mean and bit people so they ate it. The third fell off the house (our house is on stilts so it's quite a fall) and broke his hips. We took him to the vet and they said to bring him back the next day for x-rays. The next day came and we couldn't find him. They ate him. Now number 4 is alive and kicking, so here's hoping he survives.

Now we've got the duck. I just KNOW someone's going to eat the poor little guy!

Flora...well, Genevieve said that her flora was permanently changed by the Amazon. We both had a round with giardia, and we've both eaten some crazy stuff. I have always bragged about my stomach of steel, but lately I'm not so sure. I've never been so in tune (prepare yourselves: graphic information following) with my bowl movements before, but now I am VERY conscious of every little thing. Seriously. And poor Erika, my brother's girlfriend, is just on a roller coaster of flora love. Our flora is a changin' and it's an adventure.

Last night was wonderful. My brother had brought me wine (REAL wine, a yummy Australian shiraz) and I took it to Monica's house. We sat around, drank wine, and shot the bull for hours. A girl's night with wine? My idea of heaven.

1 comment:

Neil said...

Where are you, K? It has been a while since a post.
I hope all is well and you have not been eaten.