Thursday, December 28, 2006

Sing!

Fun Fact No. 33:

Continuing my list of the 10 events of note that have happened recently:

5. Sing, sing, sing...
Last night was my second time to direct the Capella Tributo Harmonioso, a new choir (with small trio) in town. I've been playing with them and I am also playing with the main choir in Iquitos, Coro Polifonico de Loreto, but they needed a director and since I don't sing (apart from my Ethel Merman interpretations and the occasional Brazilian MPB number), I got the job. It's a lot tougher than I realized but it turned out well. Last night was even better than the first concert, and it helps tremendously that these people have amazing voices AND they are good musicians. They all read music extremely well and they can sightread on the spot. Plus they just have good ears. It turned out really well and we're going to start getting ready for the Valentine's gig. They want to sing "More Than Words" by Extreme, so we might just do an arrangement. We'll see...

6. Judge?
I was asked recently to judge a villancico competition at the school where I work with the orchestra. Villancicos are Christmas carols, basically, and there was one choir from each grade, the equivilent of K-12. They were really sweet, although some were terrible. There were three judges: me, Karim Ruiz, who plays the piano, and one of the nuns. We had to judge based on arrangement, intonation, rhythm, and overall presentation. It was kind of fun, and now I've been asked to judge various and sundry other artistic competitions.

7. Motorcycle
Well, I've done it. I've learned how to ride a motorcycle WELL and I've got what's basically a learner's permit. I just have to wait a week to get the official document and I'll be licensed to kill. Literally. However, driving a motorcycle with a clutch is a struggle because DAMN it hurts your hands and your wrist. I can only imagine the number of motorcyclists out there with carpel tunnel and whatnot. When I buy my motorcycle, I'll be sure to wear a wrist brace.

That's all for now. More tomorrow!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should take me on motorbike ride soon...