Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Abuelito


Fun Fact No. 7: Jungle dogs are unpredictable. You just never know. They can be cute and loveable and then bite your face off. This little guy Laico is now my best friend but last summer wanted to eat me alive.

Fun Fact No. 8: Movies are CHEAP. I saw Miami Vice last night with some friends. It cost less than a dollar. And it was worth every penny - and not a cent more!

Yesterday was a terrific day. I went to the Amazon Libary which is a gorgeous building with surprising resources. True to Peruvian bureaucracy, it takes a million years to check out a book because the one lady has to look up what you´re interested in and show you the results and then she writes down all the info on a little card and then you take it to another lady who goes to the bowels of the library to get what you need. Four books? Half an hour. The cool thing is that Peru has no particular laws about copyright and you can take a book to a copy joint and they´ll copy and bind it for you. Illegal, but convenient.

Yesterday I ran into a student from UT at the post office. We met at UT a couple of years ago and I forgot that he was going to be here the same time as I am. He´s very nice, and it´s good to have a new friend.

AND you would never NEVER believe it BUT I bought a cell phone. Holy Crap! The sky is falling! Hell is freezing over! Kathryn has a cell phone! Yup. Aaaarrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Today was interesting because I took care of grandpa who´s in a clinic because of septic gangrene. Plus he has Alzheimers. The family takes turns watching him and making sure his diaper is changed and he doesn´t pull out his IV. Nobody was available today so I was in charge. He´s a nutty old man who can be very ornery, but it was also rather sad. He´s in bad shape, and I would hate to be in that position, not even able to feed myself at 80 years old. And the clinic doesn´t even provide TP or diapers. You have to bring your own. But it was a relaxing day. We mostly talked nonsense, slept, and watched TV until someone came to relieve me.

The nagging thing for the past week has been my prospectus and I have GOT to get cracking. A draft is due this coming week. Here´s to busting it out!

No comments: