Monday, January 19, 2009

Nicknames

Growing up, my family called me Ka. They still do. Other than that, it wasn't until college when people started to give me nicknames. People in my dorm started calling me Kat because there were so many Kathryns, Katies, and Kathys on my floor. Then I went to Spain where Kathryn isn't exactly an easy one to spell or pronounce, so I became Kati. I've always been sensitive to the spelling of my name, and it drives me nuts when it's spelled wrong. But for some reason, I never really solidified the way Kati was spelled. So my friends in Spain and Peru spell it every which way; the only common demoninator is that it begins with a K, which I was quick to enforce. My friend Esther spells it Katty, Irene spells it Katy, others spell it Kati, and still others Katti. I guess because it's only my name in parallel worlds that it doesn't bother me not having a codified spelling of this random nickname that I never imagined I would have. I lived in Spain in 1999-2000 and am still close with the whole gang, and they all spell my name differently. And it doesn't bother me in the least. Random interesting fun fact of the day!

No comments: