Sunday, August 03, 2008

Today I like it ok.

After a grueling morning and afternoon in front of the computer, trying to meet a deadline, I decided I needed to go for a run. At 4:00 in the afternoon. Yes, you can run in Cleveland at 4 and won't die of heatstroke. It was about 85 and sunny and I decided to go 25 minutes out, 25 minutes back, about five miles. I decided to push it slightly, because I was frustrated with my writing and needed to breathe hard. I ran down Lake Avenue and then down Edgewater Boulevard. True to its name, it is on the water's edge. And as I turned a bend, I nearly choked. All of the sudden there was a spectacular view of a beach, sailboats, the city skyline (I could even see the Rock Hall!) and this was only 15 minutes into my run! I kept on rolling, past a huge Indian picnic (I half hoped they would invite me to some samosas), past a game of cricket, a Puerto Rican cookout, tons of kids playing in the park, climbing trees and running around, past cyclists, dogwalkers, and down a hill to the beach. Right at Edgewater Beach I hit 25 minutes and turned around only to face the huge hill I had run down. I barreled up it, and was sufficiently out of breath at the top, making the run really nice. I ran back home under shady trees, watching the sailboats, passing the occasional teenager wandering home after a day at the beach. Today I like it here ok.

No comments: