Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Victor























This is my dear friend Victor Huertas in Iquitos. Victor killed himself two Sundays ago at home in Iquitos. Victor was one of my only actual friends in Iquitos - one of the only people who was eternally loyal, sweet, caring and loving. He's Jewish and had been preparing to go to Israel in December to take advantage of dual citizenship and free education. He was admitted to a prestigious literature program at the state school in Iquitos and is a terrific, outgoing student on student council with lots of friends. I met Victor under crazy circumstances: it was his step-dad who sold me my crappy motorcycle and it was he who sought me out to tell me the truth about what had happened and who eagerly volunteered to serve as my witness in my case against the jerk who took the commission, despite danger of being beaten up or blackmailed. He always sent me text messages telling me simply that he loved me and supported me and was glad to have met me. We had all kinds of adventures together and his sweet family, mom Tania and sister Patricia, always invited me to dinner or would just call to say hello. He was a dear friend who I didn't tell him enough how much I valued his friendship and how much I really loved him. And the worst part is: he was just a kid. 18 years old - he would be 19 in December. I left my motorcycle to him because I trusted him profoundly. And while I started off being devastated at the news of his death, now I'm pissed. I guess these are the steps. I've known people to kill themselves before, but never so dear a friend. I love him very much.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear about Victor. Often these things are out of anyone's control. Just be happy that you met him and he cared for you just as much.

Unknown said...

jesus. words don't really suffice at times like this--but i'm thinking of you. love you.