Thursday, August 16, 2007

Family





















There was a pretty horrible earthquake in Peru last night. Its major impact was felt in Lima and south of Lima in Ica. I was able to get in touch with some friends in Iquitos who were able to contact people in Lima. The thing is that the phones were down, and it's tough to get in touch with anyone. I have some good friends in Ica, and I'm pretty worried. So far my peeps in Lima seem to be doing OK


.......................................


"Family is the most important. Sometimes it's the one you're born into and sometimes it's the one you make yourself."
-Carrie Bradshaw

She may not be a famous philosopher, or she may not even exist for that matter, but Carrie Bradshaw was right on with this observation.

Before I left for Peru, I was frantic, scared, panicky, and frustrated, not to mention anxious, irritable, and just plain nuts. Before I left for Peru, my friends bent over backwards to make my departure go that much smoother. Helping me sell my car, putting in my hardwood floors with me, assembling a bookcase, bringing me dinner, listening to me when I cried and helping me pack my bags, my friends did for me what few people would even do for their family. Getting back from Peru, after a long, challenging, and adventurous year, my friends forgot that I was not there for them for 11 months and yet they still continue to help, listen, support, and love me. What have I done to deserve this? Very little, frankly, and yet their outpouring support makes my life just so much better. I have a very small family: a brother, a dad, and a great uncle and aunt. I have cousins (I think 3) but I don't know them or their last names. I actually don't even know where they live. So, as Ms. Bradshaw noted, family is the most important. And in my case, for the family that lies beyond Dad and Tim, it's the one I make for myself. And I am blessed.

My friend Karla said that the average American makes 12 (same as the number of apostles of good ole J.C.) lasting, sustaining friendships in their lifetime. I think that was probably meant for the average American who doesn't move every 3 to 4 years and who probably went to only 1 or 2 gradeschools as opposed to 10, but still, when I think about those lasting friendships that will last me beyond Bowling Green, Austin, or Iquitos, I am so SO lucky. The quality of my friends is extraordinary, and I wonder if God will ever give me a chance to be half as wonderful to them as they are to me.

So that's that. Basically, being back in the United states has had its ups and its downs. The major downer being that I had a pretty bad stomach thing for about 4 days and that stunk, but the major upper being that I am once again in the company of my nearest and dearest. Dissertation be damned, and the pressure to publish too, because there are far more important things in life. I'm going to get funded, I'm going to finish my dissertation, I'm going to get a job. Of this much, I am sure. I don't know how it's all going to work out, but I know I can (and will) do it. And I think you all know why. :)

No comments: