Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Autumn....

Fun Fact No. 42: No napkins, no knives. Eat at anyone´s house and even if they serve the toughest meat alive (or dead, we hope), you will most likely not receive a knife. Or napkin. And if you get a napkin, it´s basically a square of TP. Little absorbing quality, I might add.

No, it´s not the same, but right now as we get ready to enter "winter", it almost feels like fall. Today I woke up cold, as it was about 75º and rainy. I put my blue jeans on (isn´t that a song?) and bundled up with a sweatshirt. The rain cleared and a nice breeze set in, and now the sky is a crisp blue and it´s sunny but not hot. It made me nostalgic for autumn in any place where the leaves change (unlike in the Amazon). Sunday was the same, and I did nothing at all the whole day long.

My house is really a peaceful place. It´s been lovely every evening around 9 to sit by the jacuzzi with a glass of red wine and chat with my roomies. We talk about what we did that day, and about what our plans are for the next day, and how much we enjoyed such-and-such a movie. It´s just so relaxing. And then around 10:30 or 11 I hit the sack and sleep like a baby until the next day. My running shoes were stolen, but I´m going to have my dad bring me another pair, and then I´m going to get back in the swing of the way things are supposed to be. I live right by a very, very, VERY long paved road that is perfectly quiet early in the morning, and thus I can begin my pre-training for New York or Chicago, depending on which one Karla and Michael want to do. I´m going to run my next marathon in 4:10, dammit!

I think the boss of Grupo Explosión is in the mafia. Well, he dresses like it anyway and it´s nearly impossible to get in to see him. You´d think he was Madonna´s manager at how inaccessible he is. I have spent about 3 days just waiting to see him for an interview that can´t seem to happen. Luckily I am not one to give up, and this is minor compared to waiting for other crap in this country to happen. You think the bureaucratic BS in the US is intense, wait til you see Peru´s. Grrrrrr!!!!!!

Other news is that Genevieve´s friend Carla is here (surprise!) with her boyfriend Ron, and it´s great to see them. It´s surreal having someone from Austin see my world here. Everything has become so normal for me, and I take a lot of things for granted. Like the enormous quantity of motorcycles here. Or the crazy fruits. Or the thatched roofs. Or the giant rivers everywhere. I need to appreciate it because despite all the crap, I know that when I get on that plane, I´m going to be sad, even though I´ll be thrilled to get back to Austin.

No comments: